Method for: Cocaine, speed, (less often: Heroin). The powder (cocaine for example) is laid out in a line' and inhaled into the nostrils through a straw pipe.
Method for: Crack, freebase cocaine. The crack or freebase cocaine is smoked a water pipe or special crack pipe.
Chasing the dragon' smoking on foil)
* 'Chasing the dragon 'takes little time.
Method for: Heroin, speed, cocaine, (less often: Certain benzodiazepines). A little heroin is placed on a spoon or
* Injecting with non-sterile utensils and not disinfecting the injection site can cause abscesses.
* Injecting can cause a 'shake'. A shake is a fever attack caused by bacteria which enter the blood during injecting. The dirtier and blunter the needle, the bigger the chance of getting a shake.
* Injecting with other people's utensils (syringe, needle, filter, spoon, water) can spread hepatitis and HIV.
* Cocaine, not properly dissolved in the water, leaves little lumps. After injecting, these lumps can cause blood clots and blocked veins.
* 'Sterile infections' can only occur after cocaine injections. These are infections which are not caused by bacteria but by dying dermis (true skin). After prolonged intravenous drug use, veins can 'disappear'. When a user has I run out' of veins on the arm the alternatives are grim: Injecting into hands and feet hurts, shooting into groin and neck can be fatal due to the arteries in the immediate vicinity of these veins. If an artery is hit, the needle must be withdrawn immediately and hard pressure applied to the vein for five to ten minutes. Medical help is a must, Subcutaneous injecting (for example in the lower abdomen) or injecting into a muscle can only be done with heroin. If this is done with cocaine or speed, the tissue will die. Sometimes the sleeping medicines temazeparn (Normison), tuinal or ketamine are injected. Then, the gel-like substance is removed from the (eggshaped) capsule with an injection needle, sucked into the syringe and injected into the vein. The oil might clot and coagulate in the veins which easily can lead to infections of the heart valves. If 'dri nki ng' methadone is injected its sugar may damage the vascular walls and may cause infections on the injection site.
Method for: Cannabis, crack, freebase cocaine (less often: Heroin).
* Socially more accepted.
* Sharing a joint is good fun.
* Smoking tobacco, crack and freebase cocaine can damage the lungs.
* When smoking hash, the cannabis is crumbled onto a bed of tobacco and in the fold of a rice paper rolled into a joint. This joint is smoked like a normal cigarette. Smoking hash or marijuana can damage the lungs just like smoking tobacco but cannabis smoke contains more carcinogenic substances than tobacco smoke. Also, the way the smoke is inhaled is a factor. When smoking hash or marijuana, the smoke is usually inhaled very deeply and held in the lungs as long as possible.
Method for: Cannabis ('space cake', brownies), mushrooms.
* Eating cannabis is better for the lungs than smoking.
Swallowing (pills/paper trips)
Method for: Speed, Ecstasy, LSD, sleeping medicines and tranquillizers, methadone.
Method for: Alcohol, methadone, mushrooms (tea).
* Methadone can be dosed easily.
* Drinking alcohol is socially accepted.