Written by Andrew Preston
|Sunday, 03 January 2010 00:00
- Gohdse H. (1989) Drugs and Addictive Behaviour: A Guide to Treatment. Chap.2. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.
- Spear B. (1969) The growth of heroin addiction in the United Kingdom. British Journal of Addiction, 64: 245.
- Eichler O and Farah A. (1957) Handbuch Der Experimentellen Pharmakologie. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- Bäumler E (1968) A Century of Chemistry. Econ Verlag, Dusseldorf.
- Erhahart G and Ruschig H. (1972) Arzneimittel Entwicklung Wirkung Darstellung, Band 1, Therapeutica mit Wirkung auf das Zentral Nervensystem. Verlag Chemie, Weinheim.
- Payte J T. (1991) A brief history of methadone in the treatment of opioid dependence: A personal perspective. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 23: 103–7.
- Bäumler E. (1992) Die Grossen Medikamente. Gustav Lübbe Verlag, Bergisch Gladbach.
- Chen K K. (1948) Pharmacology of methadone and related compounds. Annals: New York Academy of Sciences.
- May E L and Jacobson A E. (1989) The Committee on Problems of Drug Dependence: A legacy of the National Academy of Sciences. A historical account. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 23: 183–218.
- Isbell H, Wikler A and Eddy N. (1947) Tolerance and addiction liability of 6-dimethylamino-4-4-diphenyl-heptanon-3 (methadon). Journal of the American Medical Association, 135: 888–94.
- Bockmühl M and Ehrhart G. (1949) Uber eine neue Klasse von spasmolytisch und analgetissch wirkenden Verindungen. Justus Liebigs Ann. Chem. 561: 52.
- Prescott F and Ransome S G. (1947) Amidone (miadone) as an obstetric analgesic, Lancet 2: 501.
- Duncan Mitchell, Personal correspondence with the authors. 31/1/95.
- Edwards G and Busch C. (eds). (1981) Drug problems in Britain: A review of 10 years. Academic Press.
- Stimson G V and Oppenheimer E. (1982) Heroin addiction: Treatment and control in Britain. Tavistock, London.
- Hartnoll R L, Mitcheson M, Battersby A, et al. (1980) Evaluation of heroin maintenance in controlled trial. Archives of General Psychiatry, 37:877–84.
- Paxton R, Mullin P, and Beattie J. (1978) The effects of methadone maintenance with opioid takers: A review and findings from one British city. British Journal of Psychiatry, 132: 473–81.
- Home Office (1986) Statistics of drug addicts notified to the Home Office, United Kingdom, 1985. Home Office Statistical Bulletin, 40/86. London, HMSO. Home Office (1994) Statistics of drug addicts notified to the Home Office, United Kingdom, 1993. Home Office Statistical Bulletin, 10/94 London, HMSO.
- Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs. (1982) Treatment and Rehabilitation Report. HMSO, London.
- Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs. (1988) AIDS and Drug Misuse. Part 1. HMSO, London.
- Robertson J R, Bucknell A B V, Welsby P D, et al. (1986) Epidemic of AIDS-related virus (HTLV-III/LAV) infection among intravenous drug abusers. British Medical Journal, 292: 527–30.
- Hart G J, Sonnex C, Petherick A, et al. (1989) Risk behaviour for HIV infection amongst injecting drug users attending a drug dependency clinic. British Medical Journal, 298: 1081–3.
- Liappas J A, Jenner F A, and Vincente B. (1988) Literature on methadone maintenance clinics. International Journal of Addiction, 23: 927–40.
- Greenwood J. (1990) Creating a new drug service in Edinburgh. British Medical Journal, 300: 587–9.
- Dally A. (1987) Stabilise, not criminalise. Druglink, Sep/Oct: 14.
- Dally A. (1990) A doctor’s story. MacMillan. London.
- Anon (1994) Conversation with Vincent Dole. Addiction, 89: 23–9
- Cooper J R. (1992) Ineffective use of psychoactive drugs: Methadone treatment is no exception. Journal of the American Medical Association, 267: 281–2.
- Ball J A and Ross A. (1991) The effectiveness of methadone maintenance treatment. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Strain E C, Stitzer M L, Liebson I A and Bigelow G E. (1993) Methadone dose and treatment outcome. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 33: 105–17.
- Strain E C, Stitzer M L, Liebson I A and Bigelow G E. (1993) Dose-response effects of methadone in the treatment of opioid dependence. Annals of Internal Medicine, 119: 23–7.
- Hubbard R L, Marsden M E, Rachal J V, et al. (1989) Drug Abuse Treatment: A National Study of Effectiveness. University of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill, NC.
- Vogel V H, Isbell H and Chapman K W. Present status of narcotic addiction. Journal of the American Medical Association, 138: 1019–26.
- Kolb L and Himmelsbach C K. (1938) Clinical studies of drug addiction III. A critical review of the withdrawal treatments with method of evaluating abstinence syndromes. Public Health Reports, 128: 1.
- Gossop M. (1990) The development of a short opiate withdrawal scale (SOWS). Addictive Behaviors, 15: 487–90.
- Gossop M, Bradley M and Phillips G. (1987) An investigation of withdrawal symptoms shown by opiate addicts during and subsequent to a 21-day in-patient methadone detoxification procedure. Addictive Behaviors 12: 1–6.
- Phillips G, Gossop M and Bradley M. (1986) The influence of psychological factors on the opiate withdrawal syndrome. British Journal of Psychiatry, 149: 235–8.
- Green L and Gossop M. (1988) Effects of information on the opiate withdrawal syndrome. British Journal of Addiction, 83: 305–9.
- Gossop M, Griffiths P, Bradley M and Strang J. (1989) Opiate withdrawal symptoms in response to 10-day and 21-day methadone withdrawal programmes. British Journal of Psychiatry, 154: 360–3.
- Gossop M and Strang J. (1991) A comparison of the withdrawal responses of heroin and methadone addicts during detoxification. British Journal of Psychiatry, 158: 697–9.
- Gossop M, Johns A and Green L. (1986) Opiate withdrawal: In-patient versus out-patient programmes and preferred versus random assignment to treatment. British Medical Journal, 293: 103–4.
- Dawe S, Griffiths P, Gossop M and Strang J. (1991) Should opiate addicts be involved in controlling their own detoxification? A comparison of fixed vs. negotiable schedules. British Journal of Addiction, 86: 977–82.
- Yancovitz S R, Des Jarlais D C, Peyser N P, et al. (1991) A randomised trial of an interim methadone clinic. American Journal of Public Health, 81: 1185–91.
- Dole V P, Robinson J W, Orraca J, et al (1975) New England Journal of Medicine, 280: 1372–5.
- Newman R G, and Whitehill W B. (1979) Double-blind comparison of methadone and placebo maintenance treatments of narcotic addicts in Hong Kong. Lancet, September 8: 485–8.
- Gunne L M and Gronbladh L (1981) The Swedish methadone maintenance program: A controlled study. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 24: 249–256.
- Stitzer M L, Iguchi, M Y and Felch L J. (1992) Contingent take-home incentive: Effects on drug use of methadone maintenance patients. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 60: 927–34.
- Ball J A and Ross A. (1991) The effectiveness of methadone maintenance treatment. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- McLellan T A, Arndt I, Metzger D, et al. (1993) The effects of psychosocial services in substance abuse treatment. Journal of the American Medical Association, 269: 1953–9.
- Department of Health, Scottish Office Home & Health Dept, Welsh Office. (1991) Drug Misuse and Dependence: Guidelines on clinical management. HMSO, London.
- Balzaar J. (1986) Formulation for extemporaneously prepared sugar free methadone mixture. Pharm J, 237: 678.
- Goodman O S. (ed). (1985) The pharmacological basis of therapeutics., McMillan, New York, Chap. 22 by Jaffe J H and Martin W R.
- Bozarth and Wize. (1984) quoted p499 in ref 72.
- British National Formulary. (September 1989) 18: 188.
- Dollerey C Sir. (1991) Therapeutic Drugs. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh.
- Cicero et al. (1975) Function of the male sex organs in heroin and methadone users. New England Journal of Medicine. 292: 882–7
- McCaul M E, Bigelow G, Stitzer M, et al. (1982) Short-term effects of oral methadone in methadone maintenence subjects. Clin Journal Pharmacol. Theraputics. 31(2): 753–61.
- Dale A and Jones S S. (1992) The Methadone Experience: the consumer view. The Centre for Research, London.
- Briggs G G, Freeman R K and Yaffe S J. (eds). Drugs in pregnancy and lactation: a reference guide to foetal and neonatal risk. 3rd Edition.
- Johnstone F D, (1990) Contemp. Rev. Obstet. Gynaecol. 2: May.
- Newman R G, Bashkow S and Calko D. (1975) Results of 313 consecutive live births delivered to patients in the New York City methadone maintenence programme. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 121: 233–7.
- Naeye K L, Blanc W and Khatamee M A. Fetal complications of maternal heroin addiction; abnormal growth, infections, and episodes of stress. Journal of Pediatrics, 83: 1055–61.
- Alroomi L G, Davidson J,Evans T J, et al (1988) Maternal narcotic abuse and the newborn. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 63.
- O’Brien C P and Jaffe J H. (eds). (1990) Addictive States. Association for research in nervous and mental disease 70, Raven Press, New York.
- Kreek M J. (1983) Health Consequences associated with the use of methadone. In: Cooper J R, et al (eds). Research on the treatment of narcotic addiction: State of the art. NIDA treatment research monograph series. DHHS publication number (ADM) 83–1281: 456–82. Rockville National Institute on Drug Abuse.
- Bigwood C S and Coehelho A J. (1990) Methadone and caries. British Dental Journal, 231.
- Lewis D. (1990) Methadone and caries. British Dental Journal, 231.
- Dollery C Sir. (1991) Therapeutic drugs. Methadone Hydrochloride, M92. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh.
- Reynolds J. Ed. Martindale (1993) The Extra Pharmacopoeia. Pharmaceutical Press, 1082.
- Clarice ECG (ed). Isolation and identification of drugs in pharmaceuticals, body fluids and post mortem material. Part 2 page 408.Pharmaceutical Press, London.
- Dollery C Sir. (1991) Therapeutic drugs. Diamorphine Hydrochloride, D74. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh.
- Personal Communication. The National Poisons Unit, New Cross Hospital, London, 1994.
- Aronow R, Brenner S L and Woolley P V. (1973) An apparent epidemic: Methadone poisioning in children. Clinical Toxicology, 6(2): 175.
- Laurence D R and Bennett P N. (1991) Poisoning, Drug Overdose, Antidotes. Clinical Pharmacology, 9: 138.
- Stockley IH (1994) Drug interactions: a source book of adverse interactions, their mechanisms, clinical importance and management 3rd ed, Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford
- British Medical Association and the Royal Pharmaceutical Society (1995) Appendix 1: Interactions. British National Formulary, 29 March.
- Moore R A et al. (1987) Opiate metabolism and excretion. Bailliers Clinical Anaethesiology. 1: 829–58.
- Novick D M, et al. (1981) Methadone disposition in patients with chronic liver disease. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 30: 353–62.
- GMC. (1993) Professional conduct and discipline: Fitness to practice. 2: 17.
- Medicines, ethics and practice: a guide for pharmacists. (1995) Pharmaceutical Press.
- Raistrick D, Bradshaw J, Tober G, et al. (1994) Leeds Dependence Questionnaire. Addiction. 89: 563–72.
- Ghodse H. (1995) Drugs and Addictive Behaviour. A Guide To Treatment. 2nd Edition, Blackwell Science Ltd. Oxford.
- Edwards G, Arif A and Hodgeson R. (1981) Nomenculture and classification of drug and alcohol-related problems: A WHO memorandum. Bulletin of the World Health Organisation. 59(2): 225–42.
- Psychoactive Substance Abuse. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association, 4th Edition. (1994).
- Prochaska J O, DiClemente C and Norcross J. (1992) In search of how people change: applications to addictive behaviours. American Psychologist. 47: 1102–14.
- Bradley B, Philips G, Green L and Gossop M. (1989) Circumstances surrounding the initial lapse to opiate use following detoxification. British Journal of Psychiatry 1989, 154: 354–9.
- Cushman P and Dole V P. Detoxification of rehabilitated methadone maintained patients. Journal of the American Medical Association, 226: 747,752.
- Stimmel B, Goldberg J, Rotkopf E and Cohen M. Ability to remain abstinent after methadone detoxification: a six year study. Journal of the American Medical Association, 237: 1216–20.
- Senay E C, Dorus W, Goldberg F and Thornton W. Withdrawal from methadone maintenance: rate of withdrawal and expectation. Archives of General Psychiatry, 34: 361–7.
- Hall S M. (1979) The abstinence phobia. In: NA Krasnegor (ed). Behavioural Analysis of Substance Abuse, NADI Research Monograph 25. US National Institute on Drug Abuse.
- Ward J, Mattick R and Hall, W. (1992) Key Issues in Methadone Maintenance Treatment. New South Wales University Press, Australia.
- Fleming P, Davies A, Dickson A, et al (1994) Working with pregnant women who misuse drugs. Wessex Drugs Forum.
- Dubble, Dunne, Aldridge T and Kearney P. Registering Concern, Community Care, 12/3/87.
- Reiger D A, Farmer M E, Rae D S, et al. (1990) Comorbidity of mental disorders with alcohol and other drug abuse: Results from the Epidemiologic Catchment Area (ECA) study. Journal of the American Medical Association, 264: 2511–8.
- Strang J. (1988) Editorial: Changing injecting practices: Blunting the habit. British Journal of Addiction 83: (3).
- Weber R, Ledergerber B, Poravil M, et al. (1990) Progression of HIV infection in misusers of injected drugs who stop injecting or follow a programme of maintenance treatment with methadone, British Medical Journal, 301: 1362–5.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 06 January 2011 17:18